Hello, Muddy Readers!
I’m Joanna, a journalist with nearly 15 years experience as a writer delving into everything from crossing continents with potty-training toddlers to how to fill the holidays with enough summer camps to avoid a nervous breakdown. But most of all I have developed a nose for sniffing out the coolest, funkiest and most fun places to stay, visit, walk, eat and shop, with or without a handful of trailing Mudlets.
Having tottered my stilettos from the bright lights and urban heat of the city to the muddy fields of the countryside, I am discovering that there is no need to toss out the heels and slouch around in a waxed jacket at the local tractor run – there are oodles of cool gems hidden amongst the rolling plains of Wiltshire.
So my mission is to snoop out the very hippest, quirkiest and most awesome restaurants, pop-ups, pubs, hotels, boutiques, shows, festivals, spas, day trips and events across this crazy county of stone circles, white horses and more henges than you can shake a pair of Ferragamos at.
The original Muddy Stilettos (Oxon/Bucks) has been running in its present form since Nov 2012 and has become so successful that it is rapidly heading towards global domination. Well, OK, it’s in Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Devon, Glos, Hants, the Isle of White, Hertfordshire, Kent, Leicestershire, Rutland, Norfolk, Northants, Oxfordshire, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex, Warwickshire and Wiltshire (that’ll be me, then), with more to follow soon.
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the site:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet – um, I’m not a miracle worker) I let you know about it. Occasionally guest editors will review and these will be clearly marked as such
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at email@example.com or via twitter @muddywiltshire.
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. BUT if you’re not good enough, I will not write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous newsletter delivered to your inbox to be the first to know about all the cool stuff happening in your area!