Hello, I’m Rosie, editor of Muddy Wiltshire.
I certainly never thought I’d leave North London (I rarely even crossed the river…), but somehow after decades there, a combination of job opportunities and a kind of gravitational pull towards Cornwall led us to Wiltshire. In 2008, with two young children in tow, we settled in the beautiful town of Bradford-on-avon.
There is so much room to breathe here, and the honey-coloured stone that first seduced us hasn’t lost its charm. It really is an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, of ancient monoliths and stone circles; of the rolling downs Eric Ravillious loved. I’ve come to discover there are, nestled in that countryside, so many eccentric little high streets of one-off shops, dreamy pubs with open fires and incredible farm shops.
My professional background is in TV drama and travel writing, and I bring a personal passion for local independent business. As a natural busy-pot (perfectly coined by my six-year-old nephew), I delight in sniffing out all that is exciting and top-notch in Wiltshire. I can’t wait to lead you through the best places for a cosy cream tea, a cool cocktail, a pint by the river, as well as events, boutiques and culture…. You name it, if it’s good and it’s local, I’ll let you know, as they say in Wiltshire, where it’s to.
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the site:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet – um, I’m not a miracle worker) I let you know about it. Occasionally guest editors will review and these will be clearly marked as such
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or via twitter @muddywiltshire.
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. BUT if you’re not good enough, I will not write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous newsletter delivered to your inbox to be the first to know about all the cool stuff happening in your area!